Global tea sales reached 207.1 billion dollars in 2020 and is expected to reach 266.7 billion by 2025.
If you are not yet familiar with Detox Teas and the reason behind their growing demand and popularity, check out the expertly curated essential guide below to learn everything you need to get started with detox teas.
What are Detox teas?
Detox teas are specially formulated teas carefully crafted with herbs and natural ingredients that can help you detoxify or remove harmful toxins from your body.
It is usually a concoction of water, herbs, and tea leaves. (in most cases)
It targets special organs like the liver, lungs, and stomach, which are likely to be most affected by any toxin in our body.
Detox teas are a new pop culture favorite for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding harmful chemical substances.
What are the health benefits of Detox teas?
The sole reason that has made Detox Teas one of the most sought-after tea is their wide range of health benefits. Here are top 5 Health Benefits of Detox Teas:
1. Detox tea may help Boost Immunity
Most detox teas are natural immunity boosters made up of ingredients like turmeric, ginger, liquorice root, peppermint, and chamomile teas. Regular intake of these teas with one or a combination of these herbs and spices can help the body's natural immune system fight chronic illnesses more efficiently.
2. Detox Teas may support Weight Loss
Combine detox teas with a healthy calorie-deficit diet and regular exercise; your dream of that healthy body will not seem afar. The high level of caffeine in detox teas may act as a diuretic, helping you expel the water weight.
A detox tea can also act as a laxative, speeding up digestion. Some detox teas, like matcha teas, can also help improve body metabolism, thus burning more fat.
3. Detox Teas may improve Liver Health
One of detox teas' most well-circulated proven effects is on liver functioning. Detox teas are well known for liver detoxification. It also has mild laxative properties that can help eliminate waste.
4. Detox tea may help with Blood Purification
Detox teas are said to cleanse the liver, the organ where most of the body's toxins are processed. So, it is only apparent that detox teas might help blood cleansing. In addition, detox teas also eliminate toxins through these organs: the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatics, and skin.
5. Detox teas may improve Healthy Skin
Detox teas like chamomile teas, Peppermint tea, Turmeric tea, Jasmine tea, Green tea, etc., are brimming with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce scars and aging of the skin.
Three effective detox teas you can make yourself:
The specialty of detox teas is the herbal ingredients used to make them. Though not every herb and spice is available to us, many common kitchen ingredients can help you make your detox tea at home.
1. Detox Turmeric tea
Turmeric is a superfood. The spice is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric helps in soothing pain like arthritis, fighting infections, boosting Immunity, and also helps your skin glow.
Recipe for Detox Turmeric tea
- Take fresh water in a pan and heat it.
- Once the water starts simmering, add some turmeric, ginger, and black pepper.
- Boil the mixture till it is reduced to half.
- Strain it and enjoy this warm cuppa of goodness.
2. Detox Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon is a favorite fall and winter spice brimming with multiple health benefits. One of the essential health benefits of tree spices is their anti-diabetic properties. Cinnamon is known to help the body improve its insulin response. Cinnamon is also rich in antioxidants which help the body fight free radicals.
Recipe for Detox Cinnamon Tea
- Take fresh water in a pan and heat it.
- Once the water starts simmering, add cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom to the water.
- Let it simmer for some time.
- Remove from heat and strain, and your cardamom detox tea is ready!
3. Lemon ginger tea
An effective concoction to help you boost your immune system and keep a healthy digestive system, lemon ginger tea is the best way to start your day. It's an effective way to fight colds, sore throats, or sinus infections. Additional ingredients include soothing ginger, metabolism-boosting cayenne, anti-inflammatory turmeric, and infection-fighting cinnamon.
Recipe for Lemon Ginger Detox Tea
- Put one chunk of freshly peeled and diced ginger roots in a pan with water (preferably 6 c)
- Turn the heat high and let it boil. Once boiling, turn the heat low and let it simmer for 10 mins.
- Now add the cinnamon (or grounded cinnamon), turmeric and cayenne and turmeric and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes, stirring gently.
- Strain, let it cool, and enjoy this refreshing drink!
Are there any side effects to detox teas?
The effort to detoxify the human body has been going on for ages. Earlier practices included fasting, drinking and eating some herbs and spices, and many more.
The recent wave of detox teas, with many celebrities endorsing them, is an attempt to keep ourselves detoxed and healthy.
We have already discussed many aspects of detox teas and whether they are effective. One critical question concerning detox teas is - Are there any side effects to detox teas?
Most detox teas are harmless mixture of tea leaves no different than regular teas. It is usually the additional herbs and spices that might possess some side effects depending on the person consuming it.
Like most dietary supplements, the ingredients in detox teas aren't regulated. So it becomes crucial for consumers to choose brands that offer 100% natural teas.
A few side effects of detox teas and their various ingredients are :
- Powerful herbs, like senna, are herbal laxative supplements used to treat constipation. Continuous intake of it can cause severe diarrhea.
- High caffeine and laxative ingredients can cause abdominal pain and discomfort.
- Losing water weight through detox teas also means visiting the bathroom multiple times. This may lead to dehydration and should be checked.
- Detox teas may contain herbs, spices and other substances that can interact with certain prescription and medications you may be taking. Please refer your doctor before choosing any herbal ingredients.
Why should you choose to drink detox teas?
The concept of using herbs and spices to remedy various types of sickness and restore our health is not new to us.
But when we have to wonder about how Detox Teas are different than any other herbal drink. Then its the combination of exotic Teas, which adds a rich aroma and taste to these herbs and spices when compared to the strong and unappealing taste of these individual herbs.
Making it a perfect beverage with an addictively soothing taste with the health benefits of all these special herbs & spices.
If Detox Teas has piqued your interest in adapting and building a healthy lifestyle, give it a try from our handpicked curated collection of fresh Detox Teas.
Note - The information provided in this content, including advice, is only generic. Neither is it a substitute for qualified medical advice. Always consult a specialist for information and check the ingredients carefully to avoid any know or unknown allergens.